Thursday, April 4, 2013

These are the days...


  The other day, while kissing Gia's boo boo, a song popped into my head. It's one I haven't actually heard in about 10 years and I don't remember really liking it much at the time it was popular.
 
These are days you’ll remember
Never before and never since, I promise
Will the whole world be warm as this
And as you feel it,
You’ll know it’s true
That you are blessed and lucky
It’s true that you
Are touched by something
That will grow and bloom in you
 
 
 
These days, though, it's kinda my mantra.
 
The other day Gia was playing in the playroom, all by herself. Every few minutes I'd hear "Ouch!" and she would run into the kitchen (which is right next to the living room that we turned into a playroom) and show me her boo boo. First it was a little hand bumped against the wall and then it was a stubbed toe, and later the tiniest scratch on her pinkie finger. Each time she'd insist that I kiss the boo boo and of course, I'd oblige. And after every single kiss she'd say "That feels so much better mommy!"
 
And then I'd melt.
 
See, all of a sudden it hit me that these days--the days when a kiss from mommy is all it takes to make everything all better-- are probably closer to being over than I can even imagine. Or want to imagine, for that matter.  It simultaneously warms my heart and breaks it. 
 
She's growing up too fast. One day soon she won't want to hold my hand, or cuddle with me before bed or tell me every single thought that crosses her mind. Until then, I intend to cherish as many of these little, seemingly mundane, moments as I can. I'm going to store them up in my memory and on this blog, so that one day in the not-so-distant future and I can look back and remember that she was once this little innocent cherub and I was the center of her universe. So, yes, these are the days.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!