Sunday, February 24, 2013

Fruit Leather

Ever since we got back from vacation I have NOT been in the mood to cook or bake, which is so unlike me. I usually love cooking. It's relaxing for me and it makes me feel good to put a homemade meal on the table for my family. Not to mention that it's much healthier than eating out all the time.
 
A few Christmases ago Jon got me a subscription to Cooking Light magazine. I read them each month, take pictures of the recipes I want to try or cut them out, and then I pass the magazines on or toss them.  Last week I was going through my large collection of "recipes to try"-- I was looking for a little inspiration to break me out of my cooking funk. I came across a "recipe" (and I use that word lightly because 1 step and 2 ingredients is hardly a recipe to me) that I've been meaning to try: fruit leather (aka fruit roll ups).
 
Here's what I did to make the Fruit Leather:
 
4 cups of berries (I used all blueberries)
 2 tablespoons of honey or agave
 
Puree them in the blender.

 
 
Then spread the mixture out on a parchment lined baking sheet (regular sized)
 
(You can use a silpat baking mat too, if you have one)
 
 
 
Bake at 200 for 4 hours, or until the mix is not sticky. (I pulled mine out a bit too early and some stuck to the parchment, as you can see below. I left it out overnight and it hardened up a bit.)
 
 
Then cut into strips or squares or however you like it.
 
 
 
My pictures aren't very pretty, but this sure tastes delcious and was a HUGE hit with Gia. I especially love that there is nothing in it but fruit and honey!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!